Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Girls in Grandbury

This weekend I stayed up too late, ate too much, shopped a bit, laughed a lot and even cried some with some of my favorite girls in the world. It was just like we were in high school again!

In what is now an annual tradition the "Fort Worth Girls" took a trip to enjoy a quiet weekend together. These ladies have all been an important part of my life pretty much forever. Cassie, Kristen (and Allison who wasn't able to come) and I have been around each other since the church nursery at Wedgwood Baptist. I'm pretty sure I've known their names almost as long as I've known mine. Laura and I first met and GA camp in second grade and Tricia sat across the aisle from me in sixth grade World Geography. The rest, as they say, is history!

(I'm really frustrated with myself and my scanner/printer/copier right now as I've spent a good hour trying to get some old pictures of the girls and me posted. Boo.)

Here is the crew almost five and half years ago at my bachelorette weekend in San Diego:


And here we were Sunday in Grandbury:

Don't let our choice of get-together venues fool you. We're just as cool now as we were then. Just more frugal when it comes to planning a weekend get away. At least that is how we choose to look at it!

Laura found a fabulous loft apartment that we rented for the weekend. It was right on the square just above some of the cute shops. We spent our trip just hanging around the old downtown area so it was perfect not to have to worry with driving and parking. The apartment was large, comfortable and just adorable. What a great find!

Here are Tricia and Laura outside the loft.

A view of the dining and living areas. The loft is up on the right with a bedroom and bathroom and the kitchen and another sleeping area are behind me.

After dropping off our things we went to dinner where we talked too loud, laughed like jackals and ate obscene amounts of Italian food. Yummy!

Kristen and I show off our "overexcited bridesmaid" smiles. Because we have been there, done that and now it's just funny. At least to us.

What's a trip to Grandbury without a stop at the Wal-Mart? We popped in for a few forgotten essentials and some cheap sun dresses. I told you we were cool.

Friday night we stayed up chatting until three am. Saturday morning we took our time waking up, getting breakfast and starting out on our shopping venture.

We enjoyed lunch at Stringfellows which had a really pretty door. Yes, I am putting a picture of a door in my blog. I know I'm a dork.

After a full day at the shops we decided to check out the cute wine store just below the apartment. The girls enjoyed a little wine tasting while I took pictures. (Ok, fine, I had a sip or two myself.)


Tricia, Cassie, Laura, me and Kristen at D'Vine Wines. (Get it? D-VINE??)

I'm posting this picture of Tricia and myself to showcase my new haircut. It's short! And I love it!

We returned to the loft and got working on dinner. I brought the recipe and supplies but everyone pitched in on the prep and cooking. Tricia worked on the tomatillos.

Kristen chopped onions while Laura seasoned fish.

We made tilapia with tomatillo salsa, seasoned corn on the cob, brown rice and spinach salad with sliced almonds and homemade vinaigrette. It was all scrumptious...my mouth is watering just thinking about it. We make a great team!


After dinner we played cards until after midnight. We were all tired and kept talking about heading to bed but we seemed to be doing a lot more talking than moving. It was a shock when we looked at the clock and discovered it was FIVE in the morning!

I have no idea the last time I've stayed up to such crazy hours. But it was great. I treasure my time and conversations with these girls.

They have seen me through a lot of changes over the years - they accepted a skinny, poorly dressed sixth grader that talked too loud and thought everyone cared what she had to say, forgave me after ugly fights where I was not the friend I should have been, counseled me through my first (and second and third...) broken heart, prayed for me in tough times, celebrated with me and for me at joys and successes, and taught me so much through their unique personalities, skills and ways of looking at the world.

We are all quite different, walking divergent paths in many ways. I'm not sure we'd all be friends if we met for the first time today. But our shared history and love for each other is the bond that will hold us together in the years and decades to come. I love you, Fort Worth Girls!

I am so blessed!

2 comments:

Tricia Welch said...

It was great fun...and I will never forget the memories we made. Love you girl!

Kristen said...

What a fabulous recount of a great weekend! It brought me to tears! Thanks for serving as our unofficial "historian" and photographer. Life wouldn't be the same without you ladies in it! Love ya!