Wednesday, August 20, 2008

ECHO! (Echo...echo...)

I don't even know where to begin with this post because I'm so excited about what when on at the Echo Conference last week and I have a zillion things to say about it, but I'm afraid y'all might not be quite as hyped about it as I. And I do hate to bore my dear readers.

But seeing as how your potential boredom hasn't ever stopped my ramblings before I guess I'll press on. Feel free to skim. Or skip. Whatever.

It seems that it was just the other day when Jeff came home from a particularly inspired conversation with Rob and said, "We think we're going to do a conference." I responded with something supportive along the lines of, "How interesting, dear! Tell me more about it."

But what I was really thinking was, "Seriously? Another venture? Don't you guys have enough on your plates already?"

Let me back up by telling you that Jeff joined Rob Thomas (no, not that Rob Tomas) less than five years ago as the first employee (besides the creator/owner of course) of what is now known as Igniter Media. Since that time they have grown to a company of 16 employees and four divisions: Igniter, Worshiphouse Media, Collide Magazine and, most recently, Echo Conference.

That is a lot of change in a little time! Jeff often says they are never at a loss for new ideas up at the office. They are a bunch of dreamers, enthusiastic visionaries that are always coming up with new and better ways to do things and schemes for great new products and services to fit their little niche of all things having to do with media and Christian ministry.

And they are fabulous at it! They have put together an amazing team of passionate and talented people that create excellent products to enhance the reach and influence of churches and ministries as they seek to glorify God and share His love.

But I was nervous just the same.

I shouldn't have been. Despite a lot of challenges faced by the team this summer they managed to pull together an outstanding, exciting and inspiring conference for men and women interested in using media to further God's kingdom. I cannot tell you how proud I was to watch it all unfold. There were moments during the conference I would sit back with tears in my eyes, just thrilled to see their months and months of hard working coming to fruition in such wonderful ways.

Since the conference I've been doing Google searches and stalking blogs to see what attendees are saying and I've found nothing but positive evaluations and enthusiasm for next year's conference. Here is a great review/recap of the conference if you are interested: Rhett's Blog.

And here are a few of my pictures from the event taken with my fancy-schmancy new camera (which I'm still learning to use).

I got to help out with registration and "hospitality" which is perfect for me because I love to talk to strangers. Seriously, I get energized greeting and chatting with random folks and helping them feel welcome.

Some of the front desk crew. Ashton (an Igniter/Echo summer intern), Lisa (dear friend and fellow employee's wife/volunteer) and me.

Jeff, me, Haley and Rob. I just love these folks! It is truly a blessing and a joy to be a part of this adventure with them. Not only do Jeff and Rob work together but they are some of our favorite friends and also our neighbors!

The auditorium filling up for the opening session. So exciting!

The band did a great job with the awesome opening number and also led worship a few times throughout the conference.

Jeff greeted guests, made announcements...


...and played the straight guy (as in, not joking around) to the hilarious Johnny and Chachi duo.

Johnny and Chachi where a hit. As always.

This is the Friday night keynote speaker Donald Miller. The other fabulous keynotes were Mark Batterson, Matthew Paul Turner, Todd Wagner and Mark Steele.

Conference attendees hanging out in the lobby. (photo taken by the lovely Kirby Wagner)

Some of the team (employees, interns and volunteers) getting instructions.


I don't use Twitter myself but tons of the attendees do and they twittered (twitted? tweeted?) all weekend about the conference. There was so much twitter activity that Echo made it into the top categories just after Olympics and Michael Phelps. How 'bout that??

3 comments:

Jill Garcia (Smith) said...

I'm so glad the conference was a success!!

I've been meaning to check in and see what came of your "chat" with Sears about your fridge?

Jill

Rob said...

Thanks Stacey for this great post... Haley and I love being on this journey with you and Jeff!

Caryn said...

Congratulations to you guys and the Igniter team!!! Looks like it was a huge victory. I was at Watermark on Sat. night for one of my girl's send offs and it looked like that place was hoppin. What a blessing to have such glowing reviews, I took a look at the link, it really couldn't get more positive.
Caryn