Sunday, January 6, 2008

The New Year and a Lesson Reminded (#2) for Dad


A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. All men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. -John 13:34-35

Stacey and I have talked a lot about Bennett's future. What his hands might someday hold? Where his feet shall step? What his ears will hear? What his eyes could witness? As a Dad, I have prayed often for these things - that Bennett's life would be filled with adventure, curiosity, travels, tender moments, graceful experiences, etc.

New Year's meant something different to me this year knowing that 2008 will be my first full year as a Dad and Bennett's first full year as, well, a human. So I paused to reflect on who I want to be in 2008 as the watchful eyes of my son are upon me.

I'm reminded that more than anything our lives are marked by the love we give to one another. It's not about money, work, houses, sports, and travels. As I often tell Bennett, the world does not any more men selfishly seeking their own ambitions, comfort and kingdoms. Instead, the world is in desperate need of men who will love others at all cost.

So I continue to pray that Bennett's life will take him to unique places where he will experience life to its fullest. How unique those places are and how full his life becomes will be determined by how much he loves.

No comments: