Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Fun (Including "You've Been Peeped!")

I have goals of creating some meaningful and memorable Easter season traditions for our family that teach the little ones and remind all of us of the gift, the sacrifice and the miracle that is central to our faith. But I have a difficult time feeling terribly motivated when I feel like Bennett isn't yet at a place to understand or remember.

It is a lame excuse, I know.

So this year there were no resurrection eggs, no resurrection rolls or resurrection cookies. We didn't celebrate a Seder dinner or create a passion garden.

We didn't even dye Easter eggs.

Nor did I manage to bring a bag or basket to the preschool egg hunt at church. Oops! I did locate a paper sack moments before the hunt began. The lovely bag plus my child's cheerful spring tee shirt and sweat pants combo didn't exactly make for festive Easter-y pictures. I'm still kind of new to this mommy thing...I'll get better.





This week my mom came in town and brought all the supplies to make a fun Easter treat. Check out these darling, diminutive Easter baskets! They were yummy too!


I decided that despite my lack of planning I could manage to at least do simple Easter baskets for the kids. I was motivated mainly by wanting a good excuse to buy Bennett a few more matchbox cars and myself a chocolate bunny. I hit the dollar store for a couple of small treats and picked up a bag of sour candies shaped like bunnies and chicks. It made me giggle when I saw the package proclaimed that it contained approx. 12 PACKS! Approximately?


I laughed harder when I found that one of the (approximately) 12 packs looked like this:


That's what you get at the dollar store!

Easter Sunday afternoon we were hanging out at my parent's house, taking pictures of the kids and discussing Dad's fondness for and Lisa's revulsion toward Peeps when Jeff looked out the window and wondered aloud what was on the lawn.

And we discovered...


...they'd been Peeped! Colorful little bunnies and chicks all over the lawn!


Dad was thrilled.



2 comments:

Tricia Welch said...

OH, girl...I am so glad you pulled these out of the archives! You are cracking me up! Hey, maybe it isn't hard for you, but some people find it difficult to count to 12. And, what the heck is getting peeped? I have never heard of such a thing, but I want to be a part of it...both the peeping and the getting peeped! I love 'em!

Tricia Welch said...

Oh, and those easter basket treats are cutie! I need that recipe!