Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Toddler Rides Rear Facing



Bennett is 13 months old, 33 inches tall and 24 pounds. He has upgraded to a "big boy" car seat but continues to ride facing the back of our car.

I want to say upfront that I have zero intention of chastising anyone or criticizing anyone's parenting decisions. I simply want to present some of the information I have come across that led to my decision to keep my son's car seat rear facing even after he passed the "one year and 20 lbs" law.

All the parents I know desire to do what is best for their children so I'd like to put this information out there for your consideration. Please read with an open mind, consider your options and make the decision that is best for your family.

* Why Rear Facing?
From CPSafety

* Lots of FAQs Answered
This site has wonderful information but you have to keep reading (click "next" at the bottom of the page).

* Info About Children's Spinal Development as it Relates to Car Seat Safety
From the Kyle David Miller Foundation

* Video Including Crash Test Results

So what do you think?

Am I being overprotective? My laid-back side (which usually wins out...I mean, I haven't gotten around to putting locks on our cabinets and let my kid eat off the floor) says that we all survived childhood without such measures. And I know I can't protect him from EVERY eventuality he could encounter in this lifetime.

Have I gone nuts with internet research? I pretty sure if I look into any subject enough I can find plenty of online junk to scare me out of my mind and make me question every step I take as a parent. (Watch out for carrots - they are dangerous! The water is tainted with drugs! The sippy cup for the water is even MORE toxic! Etc., etc.)

Well, all I can say is that for some reason this has really stuck with me. We all spend so much time in our cars it is easy to feel like we will always be safe on the road. But car accidents are the leading cause of death for toddlers (or so says the National Center for Health Statistics here). I feel strongly about forgoing the convenience of being able to hand Bennett a snack or easily see his sweet face in order to better protect him.

If this information impacts you at all, please pass it on to other families you know and love. And also, I'd love to hear your feedback!

2 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

I totally agree with you, Stacey. Facing backwards is so much safer and they have the rest of their lives to face forward in the car. We kept Oliver facing backwards until just a few months ago and he's two and a half. Some folks thought we were crazy but I feel great about our decision.

Chrys

S, J, B, & S said...

I just found your blog via Chrys' ... and I am with you!! My 13-month-old (who is a big boy!) still rides rear-facing and I intend to keep him that way for awhile. He doesn't know any different, and it's safer! Glad to know I'm not the only one!!