Thursday, March 5, 2009

Growing Strong


My baby girl is over two months old already! Yesterday we had her well baby visit with Dr. C. I was going to ask if I needed to try to feed her more often since she's only nursing five (and occasionally only four) times a day already but when her height and weight stats came in, I decided we must be doing just fine.

Weight - 13 lbs 9 oz (93%)
Length - 24.5 inches (96%)
Head - 16 inches (85%)

Little girl did not appreciate the shots and was sure to let the whole office know of the injustice that was thrust upon her. I was of course sad that she had to hurt but I got kind of tickled at the major fit she threw about it. I'd never heard her scream like that...she wasn't only upset about the pain she was stinking mad!

Just a month ago Dayton would barely consent to being put down during the day, napping in fitful 10 minute increments (unless she was being held), staying up for hours in the middle of the night and having terrible choking/coughing fits after every feeding.

Since starting on medicine for reflux and discovering that she's a tummy sleeper (I know, I know, call CPS already) we have a new baby on our hands! She's fallen in to a nice routine of eating about every four hours, napping in between each meal and sleeping at least eight hours in a row at night...sometimes twelve!


Like her mommy she's a bit of a night owl and would prefer to be up until 10 or 11 and sleep in until 10 am (oh, how I would love the luxury of joining her!). Bennett was a swaddle baby who like to be wrapped up tight then bounced and swayed and cuddled to sleep so I was somewhat at a loss when that wasn't the magic ticket with Dayton. Turns out his girl would just as soon you lay her down with her paci when she starts to look sleepy...too much activity and she is overstimulated and can't nod off.


Just after she was born we were all sure Dayton was the dark haired, dark eyed little girl to bring balance to our family. But now I'm not so sure. It's hard to tell what color her eyes are, but lately I'm thinking they might end up green like my dad's eyes. Her thick, dark hair is thinning out and lightening up. Who knows what she'll end up looking like? I do know I'm pretty smitten with her, no matter her coloring.


Dayton is an absolute joy to us. She will smile and gurgle and coo at anyone who will take the time to make eye contact with her for a minute or two. I swear she tries to be awake when Bennett goes to bed so she can get some one on one time...and I love it! She is noticing her toys and "talking" to them, holding her head up really well and has rolled from front to back a few times.


As quick as she is to smile at people my dear child simply WILL NOT smile at the camera. She will be babbling away and practically bursting with joy and soon as I pull the camera out she is completely stoic. I've managed a few pictures of her grinning at someone off to the side, but it just doesn't quite capture the full-on, double chin, wrinkled nose, bright-eyed smile that I love to see.


Big brother can't get enough of his sister. He seems to consider it his duty to keep me appraised of her status at all times. "Baby wake", "Baby ty (cry)", "Baby pappi down", "Baby nigh-nigh", "Baby eat", etc, etc. Not sure why, but he has yet to call Dayton by her name.

For her part, Dayton is quite patient with Bennett's clumsy attempts at loving on her. He constantly wants to kiss her head, cheeks, hands and toes (naming each body part as he goes) and often asks to "hode" her. He's attempted sharing toys and food and doesn't exactly understand why she's not ready to play catch yet. It's gonna' be a long wait, buddy.



I know these aren't great quality shots, but I love the story they tell about this budding brother-sister relationship. (The non-matching green bow is courtesy of Bennett. He insisted that she wear it.)


Dayton girl, you are an amazing blessing to us. I thank God for you every day. We couldn't imagine our little family without you and are so excited about the adventures that await us as you grow!

8 comments:

Tricia Welch said...

Oh, she is just too precious for words! I need to get some time around her sans Elliott so that we can bond! I especially love the picture of Bennett looking at her. Keep up the growing, Dayton! You're doing a great job!

Tricia Welch said...

BTW...I just checked and Elliott was 13#11 oz at 4 months!

Amy H said...

After looking at all of the pictures, I really think she looks a lot like you, Stacey! Even if her hair is lightening, and I think she has Jeff's eyes, but her face really does look like yours! How fun... :)

S, J, B, & S said...

Stacey, she is precious!! And, well, I am JEALOUS! 8-12 hours a night?!? *sigh* I was rejoicing last night when we got 2 4-hour stretches. But uninterrupted sleep?! I can only dream! :) Both of my boys are tummy sleepers too, but I am still not brave enough to let Sutton sleep that way at night ... do you let Dayton? And I love that she is a big girl!! Blake was 13,13 at 2 months, but I don't think Sutton will be that heavy. Hope to see ya'll very soon! Your kiddos are absolutely adorable!!

Caryn said...

What a PRECIOUS baby girl!! I love the brother sister pics hilarious. Stacey and Wyatt were the exact same way about sleeping. I could swaddle and rock Stacey for hours, but Wyatt just wanted to be put down - took me awhile to figure him out.

Lucy said...

wow. she is so precious. what cute pictures of brother + sister together.

Johnson Family said...

What a precious post. Thank you for sharing all of the beautiful pictures with us. Dayton is beautiful!

The Penuels said...

She looks precious!! I love the new pics...especially the ones of her with Bennett :) Love that girl! PS Chapman is definitely a tummy sleeper!