Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dave Ramsey Would Be So Proud

I don't know if y'all are familiar with Dave, but I just love the guy. I've skimmed a couple of his books and tune into his radio show when I'm in the car in the afternoons. He makes me laugh and his words encourage me to keep on the financial straight and narrow. I'm usually all, "Right on, Dave! You tell 'em!" as he advises callers. That is, except when it comes to credit cards.

He hates them. With an unwavering, fiery passion. And me? I'm kind of a fan of my plastic. It's so convenient. So quick. I don't have to keep up with cash and try to remember where I spent it. And we earn points and get cash back!

Besides, goes my mental retort, that "no credit card" advice is really meant for those who spend money they don't have. Outside of our mortgage we've never carried any debt. We budget carefully and spend accordingly. We should be exempt from that rule.

From the beginning of our marriage Jeff and I have worked hard to communicate well about money, work as a team to make financial decisions and spend our resources in a way that honors the Lord and reflects our priorities. I feel that we've done fairly well.

But time is a precious commodity these days and it is getting harder and harder to regularly discuss exactly where we are. Tonight we sat down to do our budget reconciliation and decided that something has to give. As the one who does the majority of the spending, I need to have more real-time info on how much money is in each budget category than is available to me when we meet only once a month or less. Jeff is busier at work than ever so finding time to go through all our credit card statements and figure out what charges go to which category is increasingly difficult.

I hesitantly offered to take over the job of reconciling the credit card statements and updating the budget. The problem is that Jeff not only is much better at all things regarding numbers but he likes things done a certain way so he can look back at his data, run reports, plan for the future, etc. The other problem is I don't really WANT to do it.

Enter the Envelope System. I'm sure you're all familiar with how this works. At the beginning of the month we will take out actual CASH (yes, the green, papery stuff) and allot the budgeted amount for each category to separate envelopes. Then, when I need to buy something, I take the money from the appropriate envelope and spend it. Done.

I have a tendency to feel stressed, guilty or anxious about spending money when I don't know where we are budget-wise. Unfortunately, I am terrible at keeping a running tab in my head or estimating what I've spent over days and weeks. Now there is no getting online to check accounts or calling to ask Jeff or trying to recall how many times we've eaten out in the past three weeks. The beauty of the new system is that at any time I can take a little peek in any envelope and know how much money we have for the rest of the month.

In the past we've discussed taking this approach, but I had many reasons it wouldn't work for me. A few months ago I went to cash for groceries and I've been loving it. I know there will be challenges and frustrations (a few of my concerns still linger) but I look forward to trying to implement cash only for the rest of our variable expenses.

Now, we aren't quite ridding our lives of plastic completely. We will still use cards for gassing up the cars and most of our bills which are charged automatically. But maybe, just maybe, we can eventually move everything to debit cards.

Then Dave would really love us.

The cash budget officially begins in two weeks. Wish us luck! And, if you are willing to share, tell me how you keep track of where your money goes. What do you like/not like about your current system?

16 comments:

Aaron and Jill Garcia said...

Jill and I have been using the envelope system for almost three years. It helped us pay off a ton of debt and it really isn't that hard once you get in the swing of things. The only thing that is harder in my opinion is having to go to the bank more. But hey, that is just one more person Jill or I will get to see on a semi regular basis that may not be a believer. If you guys need any encouragement or advise let me know. You should also check out Jill's awesome envelope system. It is definitely girly! :-)

Anonymous said...

We are proud of you and Jeff. Your Dad and I used the envelope system for most of our married life--and it works! Before we would go out each time, I'm sure you remember hearing, "Did you get the envelope?".

Jenni said...

Hi! Saw your post and related! Phil and I did the envelope system for a while and even tried an online program called mvelopes. It was good, but eventually, it got cumbersome. We just started using Mint.com instead of using envelopes. It's free and you get a visual graph of spending while not keeping all that cash in the house or feeling guilty because you forgot the cash and had to use a card. And, it has lots of different reports for those who like those sort of things...just a thought.

Tricia Welch said...

I can't wait to hear how this goes...we have talked about doing it ourselves. Most people who do it swear by it.

Jill Garcia (Smith) said...

Stacey,

As Aaron said above, we have been doing it for quite some time and I absolutely love it! I made a special little "binder" with cutsied up envelopes, one for each category that we use cash for. I'll FB you with some pictures of it, and if you want something similar just let me know! You won't regret going the cash system way, it's so great!!

Anonymous said...

Mom got to it first...but I believe mom and dad have done the envelope thing for a long time. I remember asking if we could go get pizza or something and mom telling me to go look in the envelope and see if we could do it. So, you'll get to teach your kiddos good money habits too. :)

Anonymous said...

One of the great joys of the envelope system is finding money in an envelope at the end of a pay/spend cycle!

We are actually down to two envelope, one for entertainment funds and one we use to pay back escrows we may have overspent.

Fortunately your mother still likes playing with our budget spreadsheet; otherwise, we would still need to be using multiple envelopes.

We have never tested the theory but some have suggested that people spend less money when they use cash vs. credit cards even if they don't carry a credit balance. I suspect the theory is correct.

We loved this past weekend. One of our greatest joys is that our family enjoys being together. Let's always make time for each other. OK?

Stacey said...

Yes, Jill I would love to see your cutsied-up system! I'm all about making the budget process as pretty and fun as possible!

Mom, Dad, Lisa, I started to include some of my memories of the envelope system from childhood (specifically the "gas" and "entertainment" envelopes that hung out in mom's sock drawer) but my post was awfully long already. Thanks for the encouragement!

All, I'll keep you posted on our progress!

Haley said...

So proud! Go Team Parker!

Anonymous said...

We're Quicken users. Bart's hate all things financial/paper - so I do that sort of thing and update my Quicken daily and use that to base how much we can spend.

We have a budget of how much we spend each month in all our categories. :-) That's what works for us .. I've wanted to try the envelopes before - but neither of us are good with cash and somehow funds would get used for a different category.

GL!!!

Anonymous said...

Stacey,
Trent and I have used the envelope/cash system for our FREE spending money for 7 years and love it. I back into a budget each month by sending off to ING by ACH everything but what we NEED to live on. Payments for insurance and bills are done by ACH from our checking account. Credit cards are for large purchases that need financial security for a possible return or dispute (airplane tickets, alabama football tickets). I just use plain old Excel for my balance sheet. Trent and I sit down once a year to do a strategic plan for our finances once a year, which Trent just loves.
Have fun with the budget stuff. Kudos to you for opening up about your upcoming challenge and good luck!
Katie

The Penuels said...

The Penuels use the envelope system for most of our budget...I have special parts of my wallet that house my different categories of cash. Works great!!

HeresyWatch said...

We use mint.com to track our monthly expenses and pay for groceries, eating out, car repair, and home improvement from cash envelopes. We're tucking away money from month to month for the last two categories to help us have money for the inevitable small repair or car maintenance, such as an oil change.

We recently paid off my pick-up 9 months early, have significantly reduced our spending, and have made some savings progress in the past two months since implementing some of the stuff from Dave. We have refrained from using our credit cards on all but gasoline. Good luck with the cash envelopes--I think you'll find it beneficial.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.