Saturday, September 20, 2008

I've Done It

I've finally made my first cloth diaper purchase.

I first considered cloth diapering when I was pregnant with Bennett. One might ask, "Why would that ever cross your mind?" There are a few things (in no particular order):

* I can appreciate lessening our impact on the environment by forgoing disposables.

* I like the idea of having less chemicals constantly in contact with my baby's bum. (Since B was born we've noticed that he has had reactions to certain brands of diapers.)

* I personally prefer cloth underwear to paper, so I can concieve that they could be more comfortable for a baby.

* I'm not terribly intimidated by the "gross factor" or extra laundry.

* I've heard rumors that cloth-diapered kiddos potty train earlier on average because they can feel that they are wet.

* Let's not minimize the fact that I LOVE the prospect of saving money.

* Cloth diapers have come a LONG way since I was a baby (no pins necessary!) and some of are pretty darn cute to boot.

But when I began to look around the world-wide-inter-global-net I became completely overwhelmed and confused by all the lingo and options - prefolds, wraps, pockets, all-in-ones, liners, doublers, snappis...yikes! Do I need organic cotton, bamboo or hemp? Indian or Chinese prefolds? Whisperwraps or Bummies? Do I buy from a big online outlet or support a work-at-home mom who makes her own product? Not to mention there seemed to be a million varied opinions on the best way to wash and dry the diapers.

It made my head spin.

With the impending birth of our first child giving me enough to think and worry about I decided to just let it go. I could always look into it later.

I started to seriously reconsider cloth diapering again probably six months ago. Jeff is supportive of trying it out (the saving money argument is not lost on him) so that makes me feel good. This time there wasn't a rush to make a decision. I have had plenty of time to research online and even talk to some real-live mommies that make it work (thanks Chrys!).

We're starting with the BumGenius 3.0. They are a "one size pocket diaper". That means that the outer cover can be adjusted to fit various sized children (hypothetically should work for both Baby Dos and Bennett) and has a pocket which I will have to stuff an absorbent pad into. Once they are stuffed and ready for use they are very similar to a disposable with velcro tabs - no pins or anything like that.



We should recieve our shipment in about a week. I'm excited to get started and see how it goes. After spending much of the day peruising cloth diaper sites I'm even inspired to try to make some of my own reusable wipes.

I'll keep you updated on the great cloth diaper experiment of 2008. Wish us luck!

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yea, I am so happy for you!
As a mom of twins, could you please keep me posted on how this works and goes for you. We are spending a small fortune on diapers and wipes and if we could save some on diapers, that would be great :) Please keep me posted! Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

So when did you ever wear paper panties?

Dad

Lydia said...

I just had a conversation about cloth diapers with a bunch of girls at a shower. The general consensus was "Ew, I'll pay the extra money to immediately throw away the poo, thank you." So I'd like to see how this goes. And seriously, if you could do a simple demonstration...I know it may be weird, but inquiring minds would like to know. :)

Haley said...

Let me know how it goes! Proud of you for getting the ball rolling :)

Chrys and Mike said...

yay for you! i really think you'll love them.

did you order some liners? they make the poop cleanup sooooo much easier. they are flushable. i highly rec them.

can't wait to see what you think!

chrys

p.s. your dad's comment made me laugh aloud.

Stacey said...

I'll try to do a good job keeping everyone updated on our progress. I'm excited to get started!

Chrys, I didn't see the kind of liners I wanted on the site I bought the diapers from so I'll have to get them somewhere else. But that is part of The Plan.

And for your info, Mr. Smarty Pants (Dad), I've spent my fair share of time with absorbent paper-y liners in my underpinnings and I ain't a big fan. So there.

emk said...

Stacey-- I have several friends up here using cloth diapers and one has been using Bum Genius on her son for almost 8 months now. She really likes them and has never seemed too put out by the laundering, etc. I think she bought something like 17 diapers? Anyway, I think it's great that you're planning to use them. Keep us posted! (And I'd be happy to pick the brains of my friends if you have any questions!)

emk said...

PS-- One "side-effect" of the cloth diapers is having to buy bottoms in a size larger than the kid actually is to make room for the bulkier diaper!! Just a warning!

sheltonfamily said...

Way to go! I think it will be totally manageable. I have no experience, but I can see your reasoning for sure. I will have to look into it when we have more kids!

Lucy said...

wow. good for you. Let me know how it goes! Maybe, just maybe, I will follow your lead.

Anonymous said...

Yay for being green! :-) While I never used cloth diapes .. if I had to do it again, I would, b/c YES they have come a long long way!

Obviously you've done all your research, but here's a site that lots of my CDing mama friends like ... http://www.diaperswappers.com/

Good luck with that. :-)

Chrys and Mike said...

ha! now YOU are making me laugh aloud!

chrys

Jill Garcia (Smith) said...

Can't wait to see how they work for you! Aaron and I plan on using the BumGenius 3.0 as well and can't wait! I'd love to hear more about the reusable wipes as well. I have a friend that makes homemade wipes, but the process seems to take too long for me, so your idea would be interesting to hear about!

Tricia Welch said...

I can't wait to hear how it goes! Maybe when I see B using the potty before he's 2 you'll have me convinced!