Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Moving Along

Well over a month ago I declared that Bennett would be crawling "any day now". With much grunt-filled practice my boy had learned to get on his hands and knees and was rocking back and forth, often raising one hand and putting it down again in the same spot. I just knew that with a bit more practice he'd get all those appendages coordinated and be scuttling around our little place.

Fast forward to today. He is certainly on the move...just not quite the way I expected. I love that he is learning to get places independently (although I also realize this is the beginning of the end of my going to the bathroom alone). One of our new games consists of me crawling from room to room and calling him to follow me. Yesterday he made it from the hall bathroom into the living room and around the corner to the kitchen, doing his "wounded soldier" crawl all the way.

Why do we call him a wounded soldier, you may ask. Certainly you've heard of the "army crawl" when a baby scoots around on his belly, propelling himself by pushing with his feet and pulling forward with his forearms, as a soldier avoiding gunfire. Bennett has modified this typical style by using only his left arm and right foot, dragging the rest of his body along like so much dead weight. He's getting pretty quick at it too, especially when making a beeline for electrical cords or any other dangerous prize.

It's pretty cute, if you ask me. But feel free to form your own opinion after watching it yourself - Bennett "crawls"


1 comment:

Tricia Welch said...

Wow he's fast! I think Bennett's version of crawling is perfectly precious! Can't wait to see you guys soon!