Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Lesson for Dad #1


Well, here I am. I will surely weigh in on the most random things - and will focus often on what God is teaching me from watching my baby boy. I don't presume that these things are original thoughts or new truths. But I do believe that there is a big difference in hearing truth and experiencing it.

Now let me move on. Yesterday, I was playing with Bennett on the floor and I was evidently pretty entertaining. I kept batting/juggling one toy in the air and he got the biggest kick out of it. He was laughing so hard and few things make me happier than hearing Bennett laugh. I really look forward to those moments and getting my son to laugh and just have fun with his dad.

I also love watching him explore the world and his world. The way that he watches cars as they drive by or plays with the fountain near our community pool. With much curiosity, he roams around our house. I love presenting him with new things to play with or carrying him on my shoulders as we walk to new places. There's nothing like sharing that with him.

Then there are moments where we must develop discipline (as best we can with an 8-month old) for him whether it's sleeping or diaper change time. There are times that he needs protection and longs for that security. There are times when he needs to be consoled. Times where he needs nourishment. Times where he learns just how much he is loved.

You can probably see where I'm going and that's fine.

But fatherhood has caused to me to sit back and wonder about God in new ways. How great is God to put me in situations where I can have fun and laugh. I'm sure it makes God happy to hear me laugh. And I bet He loves to watch me explore new places and reach new heights in my marriage and understanding of Him. I do not doubt that He is there watching my every move and pointing out things that I may be missing.

And how well I know and trust in His discipline, protection, consolation, nourishment and His love for me.

As I explore being a dad, it's so fun to watch my boy and give him the gifts that I can offer him. But I really enjoy putting myself in Bennett's place and thinking of the gifts my Dad is offering me. And don't I just know that as I delight in my son, my Father is reminding me that I too am beloved.

Zephaniah 3:17 (NIV) The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.

No comments: