Monday, October 19, 2009

Someday I'll Write a Real Post. I Hope.

My poor little blog has been terribly neglected and I can't seem to get my groove back. I have lots and lots of things I want to write about but I haven't made it a priority to sit down and do it. Part of my problem is I find it impossible to spit out an informative and/or interesting post in less than about 45 minutes. I am apparently incapable of finding middle ground between a quick twitter-worthy picture/blurb combo and a 2000 word essay which takes me an hour or more (usually skewing towards much more) to craft. Although I certainly don't claim to have any sort of enviable writing skill, I do really enjoy my attempts at story telling and my "process" (such as it is) requires time.

(Full disclosure: that super-lame paragraph required more than 20 minutes of effort. I'll admit it. I have issues.)

And, if you haven't noticed, I tend to be a bit on the wordy side. I can't help it.

All this to say, there are a few things I have been thinking about lately that I want to find time to write about sometime soon. Say, before the onset of menopause. (I don't want to stress myself out with deadlines or anything.) Here are some percolating topics:

* Our all-cash budget - update: we have closed ALL our credit card accounts

* I think I'm becoming a toy snob.

* We went to Alabama. We built an apartment.

* I love, love, love the show So You Think You Can Dance. And I'd love to tell you why.

* Reducing our use of plastics (it's a desire more than action at this point, but something I've been thinking about a lot)

* Cloth diapering update

* Not unrelated to above, the time for potty training has arrived. I just have to get off my lazy duff and do something about it

* Discipline - it's hard!

* I recently told Jeff, "I think I'm on the verge of becoming really weird about food." (Blame the books I've been reading about American food culture.) Again, lots of thinking, not much acting so far.

* This two kid thing has been kicking my tail in totally unexpected ways. But I'm learning to give myself grace. Sometimes.

* I used to think organized sports for toddlers was absolutely ridiculous. Now I'm considering giving my two and a half year old baseball lessons for Christmas.

* And of course, my children are cute, funny and smart. I have proof.

On the way home from Alabama I was asking my dad, who's writing I enjoy immensely, why he hasn't been writing lately. His response was that since all his kids left home he's short on material. He bugged me to write more consistently, since I have so much to say these days. Problem is, I'm short on time. And there's the rub.

So, what do you, my dear, loyal readers (bwhaha, that's funny! I mean, Mom, Lisa, Tricia?) care to read about? Which of those topics should I tackle first? Anything I'm leaving out?

14 comments:

Amy H said...

I want to read about your toy snobbery. :) And the food stuff.

Lydia said...

I like your writing! Well worth the 20 minutes to craft a great paragraph. I, also, have not had much time to blog. I finally put up a few photos or a video and call it done.

I think I create my best blogs in the shower. Alas, no waterproof laptop to record my genius.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I stock your block. (Hopefully that's not creepy. I'm a good friend of Haley Pennington.) Anyway, I think you're a terrific writer. I'd love to hear about cloth diapering update, SYTYCD (I'm a huge fan.), the trial of having 2 kids, and of course pics of your adorable children.

-Mindy

Mom said...

I would love to hear about all of these topics. I'm especially interested of your thoughts, joys, and those hard times of being a Mom. Of course, I LOVE the pictures of your precious family. One more thing, writing about our Alabama trip is also writing about my trip--and you write so much better than anything I could ever do.

I have an idea---I'll keep your kids so you can spend a carefree day writing! A winning plan for both of us.

Margie said...

I love your writing and hopefully once you realize how large your audience is you'll reconsider. Topics you mentioned that I'm interested in include
1. All-cash Budget - update
2. Discipline - it's hard!
3. Becoming really weird about food
4. Used to think organized sports for toddlers were absolutely ridiculous. Now...considering baseball lessons for Christmas for little guy.

Margie said...

You sort of mentioned this with your toy snobbery - but what are ideal gifts for under 3 year old kiddos that have lasting impact? I have a niece and 2 nephews who have everything - I can't keep up and no clue what to do for Christmas for them this year. Any suggestions?

Tricia Welch said...

I love your writing, too! I can't wait to read what you've got in store for us...especially the toy snobbery thing. What?? Oh, and I have GOT to hear more about this liking for So You Think You Can Dance. I am so intrigued. Keep up the good work, Stace. You're doing a great job!

Lisa said...

I'm definitely interested in your story of We went to Alabama, we built an apartment. That however may be a long one. Take mom up on her offer and I bet you can get it done :)

I'm would also like to here about SYTYCD, Discipline, organized sports, how these kids are kicking your tail and of course just anything fun. :) Love you sis

Janna said...

I'm an anonymous blog stalker too, a friend of Trisha's :) I personally would like to hear about your all cash budget, as we just took the plunge as well and have closed all of our credit accounts. AND I definitely want to hear about having 2 kids and how it differs from having just one. But take your time :)

And as everyone else said, I enjoy your writing. It always makes me laugh.

Laura said...

I love reading your blog, and suspect you have a larger audience than you realize. I am very interested in your recent construction vacation, and what kinds of toys you find unsuitable. As a new mom, I am relying on you to steer me in the right direction!

Dad said...

Any of the topics would be great to hear more about, but, just a warning, dive in before the kids leave. Subject matter is the fodder for writing. Although I am sure Jeff is an interesting guy, his antics don't and won't stack up to those of your rug rats. The only thing I have found nearly as easy to write about as you and your siblings is the "plant that will not die" in our backyard. That blog is coming, someday.

I don't know about that 3 year old in organized baseball practice. How about just playing with him? I will shut up now.

Stacey said...

Oh, thanks everyone! Y'all are so kind and encouraging!

Also, Mom, I am SO going to take you up on that offer! Watch our or there may be a couple of tiny ones dropped at your doorstep when you least expect it.

Stacey said...

PS - I am an avid blog stalker (at least when I have the time) as well so no worries! And if you're lurking, come out and say hi so I can creep over to your place and return the favor!

Sundee said...

I TOTALLY get it in how long it takes you to blog. I WISH it didn't take so long...I don't know why it does...but, regardless, it does.

I used to feel the same way about all of these activities. We did lil sluggers and soccer tots. soccer tots was a bit too early i think at 18 months, but reece was so physical, i thought he'd really like it.

However, Lil Sluggers has been a complete blast for him. We did it over the summer. I like the structure of the class, learning skills, burning off some energy in a positive way, taking turns, interacting/sharing w/ other kids, and listening/following another adult. It was a really positive experience. I say give it a shot!

I like all of these topics.
I love SYTYCD too. I mean really, really love it.

I'd like to hear about the apartment and about hard two is hard. : ) Need all the momma advice and support I can get...and offer back.