Sunday, October 5, 2008

Attempts at Craftiness

This blog world is a wide, wonderful place full of unexpected nooks and crannies. When I first entered this crazy world I stayed safe, perusing mommy blogs of friends and friends-of-friends, reading funny toddler stories, oohing and ahhing over baby and vacation pictures and comparing lists of "what my child can do/say" at various ages.

Over time I began exploring a bit and slowly added to the rotation some blogs written by total strangers that I find particularly entertaining or influential. Some day I should list a few of my favorites...there's some good stuff out there!

Then I found sites of moms that are awesomely inventive and resourceful in teaching/entertaining their children or organizing/maintaining their homes (on a budget no less!). This was followed by alternating feelings of guilt and inspiration. And much bookmarking and tagging for future reference.

Recently I've begun uncovering some really fun crafty blogs that are stimulating my latent "crafty gene" passed down from my talented and creative mother.

As a child under the tutelage of my mom I crafted copious amounts of handmade gifts for family, friends and teachers through the years. I loved to color, paint, cut and glue and my sister and I collected random odds and ends with dreams of creating fantastic masterpieces (a favorite "find" was used communion cups we gathered after The Lord's Supper at church to rinse and reuse). As I got older I began to cross-stitch and braid friendship bracelets. Oh, the 80's provided so many opportunities for fun with colored string.

In fourth grade Katie Mellinger and I began what was sure to be a lucrative business taking orders and selling beautiful friendship bracelets to friends. Sadly our business model did not take into account that fourth graders never pay up and that selling stuff at school was technically against the rules.

As a teenager my desire to craft was superseded by the desire to hang out with friends, make money, spend money and meet cute boys. So there ya go.

As and adult I am neither terribly talented nor creative but I have the itch to take nothing and make it into something on the cheap. I'm one of those people that walks around at Canton Trade Days and talks myself out of making purchases by saying "I could make that!". And certainly I could if I just had a little time, talent and ______ (insert various tools and supplies that I do not have on hand).

I've attempted scrapbooking. And I have two half-completed scrapbooks, four empty scrapbooks and a large bin full of paper, stickers, stamps, die-cuts and a Swizzle. Turns out for many reasons scrapbooking is not the craft for me. For those of you that can and do I am in awe and a little bit jealous. Wanna' make mine?

So, back to the crafty blogs and the reawakening of my desire to craft (I sure can ramble on and on, can't I?). I've been feeling all inspired and last week a perfect opportunity for some craftiness presented itself. I was helping to host a baby shower and not only did I need a gift but I was in charge of decorations!

Scott, one of Jeff's coworkers, and his wife Annie are adopting a sweet baby girl from Vietnam. So a couple of girls from the office and some of the "work wives" put together a little shower to celebrate Elise's impending arrival (any time between now and December!).

So here are a couple of things I made, with links to my "inspiration". I realize my attempts don't quite live up to the originals but I had fun none the less.

Inspiration:
Mod-Podge baby hanger

My take (an "E" for Elise, used as part of our shower decor):



Inspiration:
Appliqued Onesie (I just LOVE the fabric they used)

My take:




(Thanks again for letting me use your sewing machine and for the encouragement, Lisa!)

I'd like to imagine that there will be much more crafty creativeness in my future but with a new baby arriving in the next few months and still much to do to get our house ready to my satisfaction I'm just not sure there will be time. You know I'll keep you updated.

5 comments:

Tricia Welch said...

Soooo cute! I think you are very crafty! I will definitely have to check out this crafty blog that has inspired you to be so artistic!

Anonymous said...

wow! i was impressed after the cloth wipes. and super impressed now!

great seeing you today. it's always fun to catch up. your belly is ADORABLE.

chrys

Elyse said...

I am impressed with the shirts as for the letter!
~Elyse~

Amy H said...

I'm very impressed! It makes me want to do a craft...

Haley said...

oh my goodness! I had no idea you made the E!! Stacey, you continue to impress me. I have high hopes that your craftiness will rub off on me :)